1 large stainless steel pot
3 quarts filtered or distilled water
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4-5 tea bags (green or black)
One large glass bowl (needs to hold 3-4 quarts)
6 ounces of kombucha (you can buy in store or get with your SCOBY)
2 white cotton cloths
1 large rubberband
2-3 mason jars
- Pour three quarts of filtered or distilled water into your stainless steel pot and turn stove on high until water is boiling.
- Stir all of sugar into water with spoon. Wait until water returns to boiling, then set timer for 5 minutes. Allow water and sugar to continue boiling for those 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off and add all of your tea bags. Stir. Steep tea bags in water for 10 minutes.
- Remove tea bags after 10 minutes and allow tea to cool for another 20 minutes.
- After tea cools for 20 minutes, pour it into your glass bowl. Then allow tea to cool for 1 3/4 hours.
- Pour the 6 ounces of brewed kombucha into your glass bowl with the tea, then add your SCOBY, with the darker side facing down.
- Cover glass bowl with large cotton cloth (could be from an old shirt) and secure around bowl with rubberband.
- Place in a dim, ventilated space for 7-14 days. This space should be between 70 and 90 degrees.